Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Spark plug wires working loose from the coil pack

1. 04-23-2005 11:29 PM #1
      My spark plug wires have worked their way slightly off the coil pack lugs twice in the past few months. I notice it because the car ideals rough and accelerates poorly. You can also see the arching under the hood when you rev the engine. The arch goes from the connection point between the wire and coil pack to the engine block. Once I push the wire back into place the issue is solved.

Why is this happening? Is there a di-electric spray that I can use on the spark plug ends to prevent this from reoccuring?

2. 04-24-2005 10:16 AM #2
      You most likely have a coilpack with a cracked plastic cover. The cracks let moisture in which causes it to short to the head (the arcs you're seeing). You can usually fix the problem by sealing the cracks with JBWeld high-temp epoxy. Do a search for JBWeld, epoxy and coilpack in archived threads and you'll find a ton of info. Also look in the 12v and MKIV DIY/FAQ threads. There should be some info on this in there as well.

Gary

3. 04-24-2005 11:13 AM #3
      Hi Gary,

thanks for the information. VW informs me that my VIN falls outside the coil pack problem.

The sparks were definetely coming from the spark plug wire to coil pack connection point. Once I reseated the spark plug wire onto the coil pack port, the problem disapeared. I thought the coilpacks were cracking more on the base away from each spark plug wire port.

4. 04-24-2005 12:12 PM #4
      The best way to solve the problem is to remove the coilpack from the car and carfully inspect it for cracks. Sometimes they're VERY small/thin and are not easily seen. Wiping the plastic cover with some isopropyl alcohol helps to reveal small cracks that are not usually visible.

Gary

5. 04-26-2005 12:08 AM #5
      if you have an aftermarket coilpack(beru) and oem wires(bosch) this maybe a fitment issue

6. 04-26-2005 01:55 PM #6
      I got a CEL on the way home yesterday. I was testing the coil pack on Sunday with a spray bottle and I saw many sparks. I took the coil pack out last night and I did not see any crack by the terminals for the spark plugs but on the side near the cast body there were two cracks. I did the JB Weld trick to the top and side and drove it to work today. Al well so far and MY CEL did not come back on and no arching. I guess the real test will be once it rains.

I called VOA and asked about a recall and they said there was never any such campaign. I could have sworn I read that some 800K were recalled.

7. Banned
      04-26-2005 01:58 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by sdudish »
      I got a CEL on the way home yesterday. I was testing the coil pack on Sunday with a spray bottle and I saw many sparks. I took the coil pack out last night and I did not see any crack by the terminals for the spark plugs but on the side near the cast body there were two cracks. I did the JB Weld trick to the top and side and drove it to work today. Al well so far and MY CEL did not come back on and no arching. I guess the real test will be once it rains.

I called VOA and asked about a recall and they said there was never any such campaign. I could have sworn I read that some 800K were recalled.

MY 2000 was NOT included, only the later 24V VR's...no 12V's were affected...

8. 04-26-2005 02:01 PM #8
      There was a recall on individual coils, but not for the 12v VR6 coilpack.

Gary

9. 04-27-2005 03:36 PM #9
      This articles says the 12v VR6 coil packs were recalled for 2001, 2002 and some 2003. I guess my 2000 does not qualitfy, but it definetely has the same problem.

SPECIAL REPORT
      February 2003

Faulty ignition prompts major Volkswagen, Audi recall

Some 530,000 2001 to early 2003 Volkswagen and Audis have been recalled because of potentially defective ignition coils that could lead to a partial loss of engine power, according to the automakers. The recall includes the Audi TT and A4, Volkswagen Golf/GTI, Jetta, New Beetle, and Passat--all with 1.8-liter engines. The recall also extends to the Passat with W8 engine, all Volkswagens with the 2.8-liter VR6, and all cars with an Audi 3.0-liter V6. The majority of affected vehicles are 2001 and 2002 models. Only about 36,000 2003 vehicles are involved. The 2.8-liter V6 Passat is not affected by this recall.

Gerd Klauss, president and chief executive officer of Volkswagen of America, said in a statement that "some ignition coils are not up to our high quality standards" and that the automaker intends to fix "every single car with these coils by replacing them whether they are broken yet or not."

Ignition coils provide electricity to the spark plugs. Through dealer service reports, the automakers noticed that the coils in the suspect vehicles were failing at a higher-than-normal rate. If a coil fails, the "check-engine" light will blink and the car's performance may become rough, possibly to the point of losing some power. Neither Volkswagen nor the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration consider the coil failure to be a safety issue. VW says that roadside assistance is available for anyone who does not feel comfortable driving with a car that has a failed ignition coil.

Letters went out to consumers at the end of January 2003 notifying them of the problem, Volkswagen spokesman Steve Keyes said. Car owners should make an appointment with their dealer. At present, VW is giving priority to those who have had an ignition-coil failure: broken coils will be replaced immediately. If the car has suffered a second failure, all the coils will be replaced. By March 2003, VW expects to be able to replace all ignition coils on a car if only one has failed.

In order to minimize inconvenience, Volkswagen and Audi dealers will offer alternative transportation at no cost while repairs are made, the company says.

For more information call Volkswagen at 800-822-8987 or Audi at 800-822-2834.

10. 04-27-2005 04:09 PM #10
      What that letter fails to make clear is that it's all 24v VR6s with INDIVIDUAL coils, not a coilpack. A TON of us with 12v VRs have had the same exact problem and no one AFAIK has gotten it paid for by VWOA.

Gary

11. 04-28-2005 09:36 PM #11
      i think im having the same problem....i sprayed ddown my engine and cleaned it and drove home when i got to the corner of my house, i heard clicking so i pulled up to my house and popped the hood....there was arcing from the spark plug going towards the head ...so i wiped around the plug and pushed it in....then my car got really bad....when i push the gas halfway it feels like i am going up a hill in 5th gear no matter what gear im in....but if i push full throttle it stutters and then goes....i really have no idea if this is the cause of it or it could be something else....but it is greatly affecting my driving to the point where i have to give it full throttle every time....any help would be appreciated...i know i can always count on u guys.....i have a 95 JETTA VR6 by the way....thanx guys
      doug

12. 04-29-2005 12:18 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by 97audiobahngolf »
      i think im having the same problem....i sprayed ddown my engine and cleaned it and drove home when i got to the corner of my house, i heard clicking so i pulled up to my house and popped the hood....there was arcing from the spark plug going towards the head ...so i wiped around the plug and pushed it in....then my car got really bad....when i push the gas halfway it feels like i am going up a hill in 5th gear no matter what gear im in....but if i push full throttle it stutters and then goes....i really have no idea if this is the cause of it or it could be something else....but it is greatly affecting my driving to the point where i have to give it full throttle every time....any help would be appreciated...i know i can always count on u guys.....i have a 95 JETTA VR6 by the way....thanx guys
      doug

You have the same problem. Remove the coilpack, clean and dry it fully and then seal the cracks with JBWeld. It should be good as new then.

Gary

13. 04-29-2005 02:08 AM #13
      whats the difficulty on removing these? i have a bentley but do not wanna mess anything up such as timing etc. and have never done it before....is it something that anyone can do or do u suggest someone else do it?

14. 04-29-2005 07:58 AM #14
      It's not difficult at all. You can't mess up the timing since ignition timing is controlled by the ECU. All you have to do is remember to reconnect the wires you needed to disconnect to remove the coilpack and the ECU will take care of everything. As long as you don't turn the ignition on when the wires were disconnected, the ECU has no way of knowing that anything was disconnected.

Gary

15. 04-29-2005 12:46 PM #15
      It was not all that difficult doing mine earlier this week. It took me about 2 hours to disassemble and about an hour to reassamble. I took out the battery and loosen up the air filter assembly to gain clear access. I probably removed more than I really needed.

Since the JB weld fix I have driven the car for a few days and it works great. I not going to push my luck and spray any water on it, but for now everything is fine.

I did not cover all the sides of the coil pack with JB Weld, only the problem areas, so their is a chance I might have to do a followup treatment.

16. 04-29-2005 08:14 PM #16
      anybody know what the DIY forum is for the jb welding of the coilpack? i searched the archives and couldnt find it....is it under DIY?

17. 04-29-2005 08:36 PM #17
      There should be something in either the 12v or MKIV DIY/FAQ thread. I can't remember which one.

Gary

18. 05-02-2005 01:40 PM #18
      Doug, you do have my Bently book... Look in there.. four screws on the corners...

19. 05-02-2005 05:53 PM #19
      yea i did it....no difference at all....i think its my f'in tranny.....i just cant catch a break....its at the shop now getting looked at....