Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VW Reports October Sales Increase

Volkswagen's sales have been down for the past few months, but it appears they've had a soft landing. Nearly every model except the Touareg and Passat wagon are up over the same period last year.

-----

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced October 2007 sales of 17,260 Volkswagen brand vehicles. This represents an increase of 8.3 percent over the 2006 figure of 15,942 units.

Full Story and Sales Breakdown...

Re: VW Reports October Sales Increase (Cherise@VWvortex)

But - if you zoom out a bit - you'll see the not so rosy picture of sales still down 3% compared to last year.

Good news........I hope they can catch 2006's total of 235K sales, (They need 43K more in Nov. and Dec.) but even if they fall a bit short of that, a 2.9% overall decline with no diesels is impressive. There were many who predicted a 20+% drop. I HEAR that VW0A is finally in the black again, but can find no info to confirm that. Does anybody know how to find out? I still don't understand the Passat's drop in sales. I got one in May, and it's an awesome car, even in base form.

Re: VW Reports October Sales Increase (CSmith)

Quote, originally posted by CSmith »
      But - if you zoom out a bit - you'll see the not so rosy picture of sales still down 3% compared to last year.

It's like celebrating a touchdown when your team is down 31 points. It's good to see the Rabbit is popular again.

yeah those passat numbers are very sad.

overall 2.9 negative isn't so bad with everything going on.

93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

I'd just been researching VW news before seeing this post. While US sales figures are not stellar, worldwide sales are good and profitability has increased substantially.

Check out the improved profit margins:

[ Profit up at Volkswagen (Volkswagen bleibt in der Spur)
      Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung Oct 29 2007 00:00 GMT

German company Volkswagen, Europe's largest carmaker, has revealed that net profits soared to 947m euros in the third quarter of 2007 from only 23m euros in the same period last year. In the first nine months of 2007, net profitsincreased from 1.2bn euros to 2.9bn euros, while domestic sales figures fell by nearly 4 per cent. Worldwide salesfigures rose by roughly 8 per cent to 4.6 million vehicles during the period under review, however.

Operating profits before special effects were up at 4.3bn euros, while turnover increased by 5.1 per cent to 81bneuros. Management has confirmed its earlier forecast of pre-tax profits of at least 5.1bn euros compared with only 1.8bneuros in 2006. Operating profits before special effects are expected to surpass 2006's figure of 4.4bn eurossubstantially, while worldwide sales figures are expected to exceed 6 million vehicles for the first time ever.

Original article by rit

Abstracted from Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. ]

VW stock prices have been soaring, up 194% durring last 12 months.

I got out while the geting was good, and no longer own VW stock, but I've been second guessing myself as it's gone up another 8% or so, since.

Modified by CarLuvrSD at 2:42 PM 11-1-2007

Re: VW Reports October Sales Increase (CarLuvrSD)

Were there really 2006 Phaetons? Or were they just 05 carryovers?
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green
      The real world is more ruthless than TCL, and sensitivity was never one of Darwin's strong points.

Re: VW Reports October Sales Increase (VertigoGTI)

VW is just not an important player in the States; I enjoy mine but am constantly fixing things (and no not repeat failures) that prevent me from recommending them to family members (have a young niece looking for something right now). The MkV's seem to be working out reliability-wise but still too early to tell, maybe back to Mk2 levels? The dealer's still disappoint after 20 years of dealing w/ them.

Re: VW Reports October Sales Increase (Talareno)

The MkVs are fine, even Consumer Reports acknowledges so much.

Try to find a good service place, if at all possible.

Aung San Suu Kyi

Re: VW Reports October Sales Increase (feels_road)

mk5s are nice, the ride really stiff which is real awesome... but im still trying to get use to the body style.

Re: VW Reports October Sales Increase (Norcrossvw4)

I think the Golf/Rabbit Mk 5 looks pretty good. The Jetta is horrid imo.

Quote, originally posted by Norcrossvw4 »
      mk5s are nice, the ride really stiff which is real awesome... but im still trying to get use to the body style.

Re: VW Reports October Sales Increase (Norcrossvw4)

Quote, originally posted by Norcrossvw4 »

they certainly do right much stiffer, all around i think a much improved ride, i wish i had saved $$ and passed on the MKIV. and purchased one of these instead, although my mkIV is paid for just too many other things going on to swing an MKV

Re: (garethusa)

Quote, originally posted by garethusa »
      yeah those passat numbers are very sad.

overall 2.9 negative isn't so bad with everything going on.

does this mean that he Passat price point is tooo high? I think the Passat looks absolutely fabulous, but when decently equipped (not value edition), the price seems to jump quickly. Not to mention the 3.6 4-Mo' is right around $40k. Is that too high for a Passat?

Also...what numbers to manufacturers look at the most?
      - month to month sales +/-
      - month current yr compared to month last yr +/-
      - total sales to current month compared to previous sales to current month +/-

All numbers are important, but which one carries the most weight?

And down 3% isn't horrible. I am sure that number will change as soon as some of the newer models begin hitting showrooms - Jetta wagon and Tiguan.

Still, despite the positive numbers on some models, I think a slight price reduction, 3-5%, is in order to help pick up sales.

Does this factor in leases too?

\\\\\\\\\\\__ >> Hello Kitty Motor Oil <<, it does exist.
      \\\\\\\\\\\_+_MTL changed 19 Nov 11 (good for another 49k)
      \\\\\\\\\\\__Milestones: 60,000mi on 14 Nov 2013

Re: (gti dreamn)

Quote, originally posted by gti dreamn »
      does this mean that he Passat price point is tooo high? I think the Passat looks absolutely fabulous, but when decently equipped (not value edition), the price seems to jump quickly. Not to mention the 3.6 4-Mo' is right around $40k. Is that too high for a Passat?

Yes - when compared to its competition (with respect to top sales: mostly Camry and Accord, starting barely above $20K), and given widespread and partially justified fears of lack of reliability.

In the US, the Passat's looks are controversial for at least two reasons.

One is, that it doesn't look as German any more as it used to (think German car, M-B or BMW, for less money), the other is that for anyone even slightly familiar with cars and performance, FWD is iffy to start with. But when you see a car design like that of the new Passat, with its incredibly long front overhang, and short wheel base --- that is just very un-American.

Unlike Europeans, Americans largely don't care about how you create interior space (the bigger the better, regardless, how), or what the turning radius is. They do care about highway handling and noise (needs the longest possible wheel base) and either RWD or 50:50 weight distribution (which, of course, is not what a FWD car is about).

Now, the B6 Passat, with its relatively short wheelbase and long front overhang simply looks completely incompetent, in this regard --- no matter what the actual driving dynamics are, or the turning radius (what's that?).

Finally, you can actually get an AWD 3.6 Passat for around $30k, a very competitive price, with a lot of haggling, at the end of the month or end of the year, because they don't sell. But no one knows that, so they stagnate at the lots, with almost $40k stickers, and no one touches them. If there is a ~30% difference between low sales price and MSRP, there is something seriously wrong between the manufacturers vision of the car, and the consumers' evaluation. But, VWoA won't listen, and VW is (or at least was, until recently) clueless about how terribly clueless VWoA actually was.

Still, to this very moment, VW has not demonstrated that they are interested in a genuine exchange with "gurus" that are educated about and familiar with the product "car" in the US in general, and the potential market for VWs, in particular. Again, it seems they think they can go it alone. We have already seen the catastrophic pitfalls of that in their atrociously poor handling of the clean Diesel introduction ($$$ spent at poorly targeted events and campaigns that reach few; while no one has the guts to actually introduce Diesel engines in the US on a massive scale, including AWD and manual transmissions, to get magazines' and enthusiasts' approval).

Aung San Suu Kyi

Re: (feels_road)

Quote, originally posted by feels_road »

One is, that it doesn't look as German any more as it used to (think German car, M-B or BMW, for less money)

I would posit that BMWs and Mercedes don't look German any longer. Adrian van Hooydonk has ruined BMWs design - the cars look Asian not German. To me a Passat still looks more German than a BMW. Audis still look German for the most part, but they seem to be changing as well. And I have no idea what is up with MB. Something is not right there - I mean come on they actually bought Chrysler for cryin' out corn! And then they lost their butt$ selling it off.

Just my 2 cents. And think I'm going to snag a diesel Jetta Sportwagen - it's design works for me.

Re: VW Reports October Sales Increase (CSmith)

Last year we have TDI Jetta and Beetles to sell. TDI's are typically 30% of VW's yearly sales at peak model availability. If we're only down 3% from last year, and we don't have any TDI's to sell, I would say VW is doing very well considering the fact.

interesting synopsis feels_road. I do feel that most of VWoAs selling issues (dealers aside) are due to the fact the VW itself wants to move up market. It is the wanting to move up market that has also moved prices up market, and the VW brand hasn't done anything to warrant such a move. I also think that is where Audi belongs, as the next up market selection for the VW owner that likes VAG products and wants to treat him/herself to a more upscale package.

As many have said before, VW is forgetting what its roots are and they are having a hard time connecting with their customers' needs.

What is German Styling? Is it the old M-B of the 90s, squared fronts, sides and rears? I'm sure this topic is and has been debated many times over, but it seems that the car industry is a huge melting pot of cross-styling cues. We have Lexus' looking more German and M-B looking more Japanese.

What could be done to make the Passat look more German, design wise. I know that the Jetta needed/needs more Skoda influence, but what could the Passat use?

\\\\\\\\\\\__ >> Hello Kitty Motor Oil <<, it does exist.
      \\\\\\\\\\\_+_MTL changed 19 Nov 11 (good for another 49k)
      \\\\\\\\\\\__Milestones: 60,000mi on 14 Nov 2013

I think I agree with your thinking. Skoda styling is definitely more aligned with traditional German lines than some of the recent VW styling (it is also closer to Volvo ).

The times of up-market movement are over, in the US. VW simply cannot compete with those prices. If you can buy an almost fully-loaded V6 leather Accord for $27,000 that is bigger than the Passat (which has an equivalent MSRP of $31,000), there is a problem. More so, when Honda is recognized for much superior reliability and service, in the US.

Car prices in the US are just incredibly low, by international standards. You can get a reasonably equipped 335 BMW for less than the MSRP of a fully loaded Passat. Not a good place to mingle in, if your name recognition is peoples' car and you are more expensive than a well-handling Bimmer...

As to styling, VW's will change, because they have realized their mistakes. At this point, most people would agree that recent US Acuras nailed German styling and what the Jetta should look like better than anyone else.

Things will get better, but man, is this a slow ride. I am tempted to say es geht alles seinen sozialistischen Gang.

Too little too late still applies in a large way, for US product offerings.

Modified by feels_road at 2:26 AM 11-5-2007

Aung San Suu Kyi

Quote »
      What is German Styling?

Last of the German-look BMWs. I actually like the way that the new 5 series looks, not as much as the E39 though. The new 3 is too angular and I've never been able to warm up to the 7 series, especially its gaudy interior.

The German look really isn't about styling to me, it's about proportion. Let's compare these 2 cars.

I think that the Phaeton is one of the best looking cars ever because of its detail, proportion and subtlety. It's a large car without looking large, where as the Lexus looks bloated, as if it's hanging over the wheels. I noticed that the new Japanese styling trend is to make every panel as flat and plain as possible; it started with the Infiniti G35. The Phaeton has many small lines and creases along the body and front fascia, where as the Lexus simply has a dramatic single shoulder/belt line. Now there are other lines in the car, but they don't have the same impact as that one major line. Again, it's all about proportions.

Many of the great German cars has a good number of lines but it's hard to tell why you like it unless you really notice them. The Japanese style is becoming more "in-yer-face," easy to dissect, extremely recognizable. But it's hard to really differentiate between brands. To me, this Lexus looks like an inflated G35.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green
      The real world is more ruthless than TCL, and sensitivity was never one of Darwin's strong points.

Re: (VertigoGTI)

Quote, originally posted by VertigoGTI »

Last of the German-look BMWs.

Agreed. I also like the clean, radiussed, chromeless Audis of a few years back. Sehr Österreicher.

I agree with you on the styling issue. The current Passat is not very balanced. It feels contrived and bloated. The stylists over did it and made it very fussy to compensate for its fundamental design shortcomings.

Pricing is not the reason why it is not selling. As you yourself acknowledge, the Passat is availabled at prices significantly less than MSRP. They are literally giving it away, yet it is not selling.

The B6 has had several well known quality issues, not to mention the fact that it is not as competitive vis its peers as the B5 was. For VW to be able to be compete with the likes to Camry and the Accord, the Passat needs to literally stand head and shoulders over these competitors in terms of styling, engineering, interior etc. For its time, the B5 did that. The B6, does not.

Quote, originally posted by feels_road »

Yes - when compared to its competition (with respect to top sales: mostly Camry and Accord, starting barely above $20K), and given widespread and partially justified fears of lack of reliability.

Now, the B6 Passat, with its relatively short wheelbase and long front overhang simply looks completely incompetent, in this regard --- no matter what the actual driving dynamics are, or the turning radius (what's that?).

Finally, you can actually get an AWD 3.6 Passat for around $30k, a very competitive price, with a lot of haggling, at the end of the month or end of the year, because they don't sell. But no one knows that, so they stagnate at the lots, with almost $40k stickers, and no one touches them. If there is a ~30% difference between low sales price and MSRP, there is something seriously wrong between the manufacturers vision of the car, and the consumers' evaluation. But, VWoA won't listen, and VW is (or at least was, until recently) clueless about how terribly clueless VWoA actually was.

Re: VW Reports October Sales Increase (Westside_Sales)

Can you provide more details on your figures? The diesels have been banned in most of VW's key markets in the east and west coast for a long time. These markets constitute approximately 40-50% of VW's total volume. I thought on a national level, TDIs only accounted for around 10% of VW's total sales. TDIs may have accounted for 30% of new car sales in the mid-west etc where they were sill available.

Still, the fact that VW's sales dropped by only 3% for the year is quite suprising. It looks like the Rabbit and picked up the slack of the declining Passat, while the Toureg and Jetta have stabilized.

Quote, originally posted by Westside_Sales »
      Last year we have TDI Jetta and Beetles to sell. TDI's are typically 30% of VW's yearly sales at peak model availability. If we're only down 3% from last year, and we don't have any TDI's to sell, I would say VW is doing very well considering the fact.