Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04) Is Officially Out....

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      04-24-2008 09:25 AM #1
      http://www.ubuntu.com/
      Downloading it now!
      Of course, it has to be released on a day that I am going to be busy building 12 PCs.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

Vehicles
      2005 Nissan Xterra
      04-24-2008 09:38 AM #2
      Site is already down.
      That didn't take long.

Vehicles
      2005 Nissan Xterra
      04-24-2008 09:48 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by nemesis099 »
      Site is already down.
      That didn't take long.

And now it is back up.
      Must have needed to bring a few more servers online to deal with the load.

4. 04-24-2008 11:21 AM #4
      I wish canonical would give Kubuntu as much attention as it does Ubuntu. Most newbs don't ever realize there is another good DE out there or worse, when they do try out Kubuntu, they're greeted with a buggy, feature deficient OS (relative to Ubuntu) that leaves them with a bad impression of KDE.
      El que se enoja pierde

5. 04-24-2008 11:44 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by CheddaJetta »
      I wish canonical would give Kubuntu as much attention as it does Ubuntu. Most newbs don't ever realize there is another good DE out there or worse, when they do try out Kubuntu, they're greeted with a buggy, feature deficient OS (relative to Ubuntu) that leaves them with a bad impression of KDE.

and that's why i love ubuntu...but run a few KDE apps...I never felt kubuntu was as polished as ubuntu
      downloading 150 updates for the release (was running a RC)
      Why did I buy another VW?

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      04-24-2008 11:49 AM #6

I feel the same way about Xubuntu.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

7. Banned
      04-24-2008 12:38 PM #7
      I'll be downloading and upgrading tonight. I have a Macbook but still use Ubuntu in VMware.

Vehicles
      2006 Škoda Octavia
      04-24-2008 12:42 PM #8

KDE is in a mess right now, but that's hardly the fault of the guys at Canonical.

Vehicles
      2013 VW CC Sport+
      04-24-2008 12:50 PM #9
      Solid release! I hate gnome, I have no issues so far with Kubuntu. Im strictly a gentoo guy but I repartitioned one of my laptops and was able to fit XP, gentoo, and kubuntu on it.

10. 04-24-2008 01:13 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by impact »
      KDE is in a mess right now, but that's hardly the fault of the guys at Canonical.

I disagree. KDE 4.0.3 is pretty stable and 3.5.9 is as stable as any other OS out there. With 4.1 due out in July, the KDE 4 branch will become very stable. It's not like Canonical suddenly decided to stop supporting KDE since KDE 4 came out. They've always treated Kubuntu as a second class citizen and it shows. Kubuntu has a serious lack of feature parity with Ubuntu; this has little to nothing to do with the actual DE. It's the lack of paid developers on the Kubuntu side that causes this.
      Bottom line is, if you want a user friendly linux distro and you want to run KDE, you don't use Kubuntu, you use SUSE or PCLinuxOS.
      <---- another Gentoo user
      El que se enoja pierde

Vehicles
      90 GLI, 2013 Golf R
      04-24-2008 01:14 PM #11
      I might be trying this release soon. I have an old fedora right now. time to upgrade. I didn't realize that the KUbuntu was not as good thought.
      Φ ¿╤Æ₧φ≈ ™

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      04-24-2008 03:04 PM #12
      I grabbed the updated the other day (running the beta) didn't crash the system so I guess its ok. (but running fluxbox)
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

13. 04-24-2008 03:45 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by CheddaJetta &raquo;
      Bottom line is, if you want a user friendly linux distro and you want to run KDE, you don't use Kubuntu, you use SUSE or PCLinuxOS.
      <---- another Gentoo user

What's so much better about SUSE? I tried their KDE4 image and felt it was worse than Kubuntu KDE4 because (apart from creating the ugliest theme I've seen) they replace all this system control apps with their own apps which IMO are inferior to the default KDE apps.

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta
      04-24-2008 04:07 PM #14
      downloading right now through BT.

15. 04-24-2008 05:02 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by geoken2 &raquo;
      What's so much better about SUSE? I tried their KDE4 image and felt it was worse than Kubuntu KDE4 because (apart from creating the ugliest theme I've seen) they replace all this system control apps with their own apps which IMO are inferior to the default KDE apps.

You raise subjective concerns. If you don't like the theme, then change it (come on, that's so easy to do). If you don't like the way they do system settings, then try out a new distro. That's your choice.
      The relative instability and lack of feature parity compared to Ubuntu are what make Kubuntu do a disservice to KDE. I'll even go so far as to say out of the ~20+ linux distros I've tried, Kubuntu is the worst--very unstable, poor HW recognition, poor wifi, poor X config, very poor ACPI, and composting was a monumental failure (in 7.10)--problems that either I didn't have or had significanly less trouble with on the other distros. Kubuntu couldn't even figure out my MS Intellimouse (wireless, connects via USB) or mount my external HDs without crashing regularly!
      You might want to wait to judge SUSE's KDE 4 until 11.0, due out in a few months time.
      El que se enoja pierde

16. 04-24-2008 05:12 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by CheddaJetta &raquo;
      You might want to wait to judge SUSE's KDE 4 until 11.0, due out in a few months time.

I was judging Hardy Alpha 1 KDE4 vs SUSE Beta 1. Although being older, Kubuntu never gave me the whitescreen (SUSE did). Kubuntu also maintained more up-to-date plasmoids.
      Kubuntu also had more KDE4 apps in the repos, I was able to find the KDE4 versions of Digikam, Karbon and Krita (IIRC). I never checked for Krita, but SUSE didn't have packages for Karbon and Digikam (well they had packages but they were the KDE3 versions).
      I'm not a big KDE 3 user so I can't really argue on you with that stuff, but perhaps with KDE4 they're starting a new? To me it felt the best of the 3 pre-release distros (Kubuntu 8.04, Fedora 9, SUSE 11) I've been trying KDE 4 on.

17. 04-24-2008 09:15 PM #17
      Wow... I've been running Kubuntu since 7.04 came out, and upgraded promptly to 7.10 when it came out. I've been using it almost exclusively as my desktop OS and I think it's great. My question is this: if that's true, am I an exception, or is there a better KDE-based distro to be looking at?

18. 04-24-2008 11:35 PM #18
      If Kubuntu works for you, that's great! However, I think I'm expressing a majority opinion on Kubuntu's quality (especially when compared to Ubuntu!). A lot of SUSE devs are also KDE devs and Novell is one of KDE's major supporters (see KDE.org)--that alone should tell you something. If you're curious about how other distros do KDE, I suggest trying SUSE, PCLinuxOS, Sidux, Mint, Sabayon, and maybe Fedora's KDE. IMO, KDE in these distros is more stable and polished than Kubuntu (7.10).

If you're really looking for a challenge, try Gentoo. Just be prepared for lots of time and frustration if you're not very linux/computer savvy.
      El que se enoja pierde

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC
      04-25-2008 03:42 AM #19
      So what are benefits to having UBUNTU vs Xubuntu?
      From what i understand, Xubuntu is a lighter, snappier version b/c it doesnt have the eye candy. But they look the same to me.

Vehicles
      2011 Fiesta SES HB, 1996 GTI hoopty
      04-25-2008 07:38 AM #20
      They look very similar on the surface, but the desktop environment / windows management system is a little leaner and, if I understand things correctly, not capable of some of the more complicated graphical themes/visuals that Gnome and KDE can pull off without additional tweaking.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfce
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

Vehicles
      Several
      04-25-2008 08:33 AM #21
      I upgraded yesterday and into yesterday evening. I left the laptop running the upgrade processes, and when I came in this morning it was complete.
      My first impressions are that the upgrade was stupid easy, and the lappy feels a little quicker than yesterday (though that is probably just a placebo effect). Text looks better, but not as much better as the 6.04 -> 7.10 leap (which was also stupid easy). The search indexer works quickly.
      Overall, I'm happy. Laptop specs: Thinkpad t40 with Pentium M ~1.3 Ghz, 1.25GB Ram, 30 Gig Hard Drivce.
      Of course, I could be wrong. Make a case for why, if you like.

Current ignore list length: 49. Last addition: March 27, 2015. (Lucky winner.)

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Volvo C30 6mt
      04-25-2008 08:59 PM #22
      Upgraded tonight. It took a long time! Normally I pull 330k a second but was only at around 50k the whole time sometimes dipping to 11k
      In the past I gave KDE a shot but in the end I felt Gnome was more polished, seemed snappier, and was easier on my eyes.
      I'd go as far to say that if I couldn't get Gnome with Ubuntu I'd use a different distro.

Modified by dirtyfingers at 6:16 PM 4-25-2008

Vehicles
      04-25-2008 10:39 PM #23
      Having tried both Gnome and KDE with SuSE, I preferred Gnome. It just seemed a little snappier and "simpler". I actually prefer a simpler interface. I'm planning on Heron-ing up next weekend after my larger HD for the laptop is delivered. Yay...
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

Vehicles
      06 A3 2.0t
      04-28-2008 04:17 AM #24
      KDE guy myself... It's much quicker.

25. 04-28-2008 09:53 AM #25
      Quote, originally posted by dirtyfingers &raquo;
      Upgraded tonight. It took a long time! Normally I pull 330k a second but was only at around 50k the whole time sometimes dipping to 11k

Find the fastest mirror;

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/...ptic/
      That's the first thing I do on any Ubunut install, especially close to a new release. If your average is 330k I'll almost guarantee you'll get line saturation after getting the fastest mirror (I get 1100k).

26. 04-28-2008 11:03 AM #26
      downloaded from RIT last night, and did a fresh install on an old box. everything running smoothly.

Vehicles
      04-28-2008 04:05 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by scipher &raquo;
      KDE guy myself... It's much quicker.

That's funny, from what I've seen, most folks tend to think that Gnome is a bit quicker.
      However, I wouldn't be surprised if some hardware configurations are inherently peppier with one windows/desktop managers over another.

Vehicles
      90 GLI, 2013 Golf R
      05-03-2008 02:54 AM #28
      Formating Now.
      Φ ¿╤Æ₧φ≈ ™

Vehicles
      05-04-2008 10:06 PM #29
      I finally had a chance to download today. I grabbed it off the Michigan Tech mirror, and it downloaded really quick. Most of the server loads are probably past their peak by now, though.

Vehicles
      MKiV R32
      06-12-2008 11:29 PM #30
      Just installed Ubuntu on my laptop. I have a desktop running XP Pro. I can see the XP computer on the network, but when I open it, I can't see my shared folders. Any suggestions?

Vehicles
      02 A4 Quattro
      06-13-2008 09:21 AM #31
      Quote, originally posted by ginster_gtivr6 &raquo;
      Just installed Ubuntu on my laptop. I have a desktop running XP Pro. I can see the XP computer on the network, but when I open it, I can't see my shared folders. Any suggestions?

You have to set up Samba. Here's a How-To

Vehicles
      MKiV R32
      06-13-2008 10:11 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by estraub518 &raquo;
      You have to set up Samba. Here's a How-To

Thanks.