Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mossberg 715t

1. 12-12-2011 05:04 PM #1
      So I just bought one...was looking for a 10 22 and, for 60 dollars more, figured I'd get the one that was all tacticooled out...I knew I would end up getting a synthetic stock etc for the ruger, plus I didnt have to buy a rail for this one...

Anyway, the ten round mags and 25 round mags functioned flawlessly...they're a little weird to remove (the bolt holds the magazine follower and kind of pinions the magazine in there), but I love this thing...

Super cheap to shoot and super light with an adjustable stock...I think I paid around 310 out the door (the 25 round magazine was another 28 dollars I think).

All in all, no buyers remorse...the thing looks sick with a scope on it...

Anything I should know about it? From what I understand it is just a Mossberg Plinkster with plastic furniture to make it look like an AR.

Any trigger mods I should look at?

Im going to put as many rounds as I can through it without cleaning to see if I can get it to malfunction...ill keep you updated.

Last edited by HighFructoseCornSyrp; 12-13-2011 at 07:49 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      The regulars here are actually pretty supportive, despite what the idiotic posters think.

2. 12-14-2011 01:41 PM #2
      So I had a round gouge on its way up the feed ramp and stop things up. This is after about 350 rounds of 22lr Remington Golden Hollowpoint. I cleared it and ran another 50 or so through it with no problems.

I am debating taking it apart and cleaning up the trigger...it is nowhere near as nice as my buddy's marlin with a polish job on the trigger.

Everyone who has shot it now wants one...super low recoil and noise, super cheap to shoot, looks pretty cool.

As far as accuracy goes...I dialed a cheapie walmart center point scope in on it and tore a hole in the target about the size of a quarter with 10 rounds at 25-30 yards...if I cleaned up the trigger a bit and had a bipod instead of setting it on an ammo can I bet I could do that out a bit farther...
      The regulars here are actually pretty supportive, despite what the idiotic posters think.

3. 12-25-2011 10:09 PM #3
      Well, I think, between me and my buddies, we have 700 rounds of the Remington Green box through it and its doing fine...

I get a random failure to feed on occasion and the bullet will be chewed up (on par with other 22's I mess with-not often and not a pain). After 250 rounds or so you have to put a couple drops of oil on the slide otherwise, when you release the slide, it wont always fully feed the round.

I havent cleaned it or taken it apart yet and it is still doing what it is supposed to.

The trigger leaves a bit to be desired, but I see it as just another element of shooting to make it interesting-its not too bad, just not a single action revolver type trigger...

You can dig the bullseye out of the target at 25 yards without trying hard...which is about as far as I ever shoot (gotta walk too far to change the targets if you get much farther...)

I've got a cheap walmart scope, cheap red dot on it at an angle, and a fore grip with a bipod that sticks out the bottom. Its definitely my favorite toy and a favorite for people I take shooting...hitting the spinner targets over and over with the red dot will put a smile on your face...I wonder if I would like a 223 to match it, but its nice to be able to shoot this thing without ear protection...

Good buy. I would recommend it...

Vehicles
      2014 GLI 30th, 1977 TA W72
      12-25-2011 11:26 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by HighFructoseCornSyrp View Post
      Well, I think, between me and my buddies, we have 700 rounds of the Remington Green box through it and its doing fine...

I get a random failure to feed on occasion and the bullet will be chewed up (on par with other 22's I mess with-not often and not a pain).

I'd blame that on the crappy Remington ammo. Golden Bullet is the crappiest of all the bulk packs.

Definitely worth ponying up the extra couple bucks for Federal Champion bulk - cleaner and far more reliable. Flawless in my 10/22 - over 1500 rounds in the last month.
      Jason • Now 2.0T / 400 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

5. 12-26-2011 11:52 AM #5
      Federal won't cycle reliably in my Advantage Arms 22lr conversion for my glock 19...niether will blazer or that thunderbolt stuff. Ive tried a couple of the cheapie 22lr brands and the golden bullets are the only ones i will buy anymore...

Federal cycles just fine in REAL 22lr's, just not in my conversion kit...

Vehicles
      1996 GTI hoopty
      12-26-2011 02:17 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI_2.0T View Post
      I'd blame that on the crappy Remington ammo. Golden Bullet is the crappiest of all the bulk packs.

Definitely worth ponying up the extra couple bucks for Federal Champion bulk - cleaner and far more reliable. Flawless in my 10/22 - over 1500 rounds in the last month.
      Personally, I haven't had any specific problems in my MkII or 10/22 with Remington, even after nearly a brick without cleaning. I will say, though, that I feel that the Gold is one of the dirtier brands of .22lr ammo I've used. I noticed in my MkII that after 500-600 rounds or so it's dirty enough that the bolt doesn't always close up properly. It doesn't keep it from firing and cycling, but you can feel scraps of carbon and powder spitting on your hand during cycling.
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

Vehicles
      '11 tundra, '99 rapevan, '03 sv1000, '0? ttr90, '14 grom, '03 sv650 track, '04 nsr50
      12-28-2011 04:54 PM #7
      very interesting. very much considering it as a practice rifle. Between it and the Mosin, these will probably be the two most useless things ever for SHTF (hell, i'd take extra ammo for my HK USP over either) , but will sure be fun to screw around at the range.
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

8. 12-29-2011 07:30 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Personally, I haven't had any specific problems in my MkII or 10/22 with Remington, even after nearly a brick without cleaning. I will say, though, that I feel that the Gold is one of the dirtier brands of .22lr ammo I've used. I noticed in my MkII that after 500-600 rounds or so it's dirty enough that the bolt doesn't always close up properly. It doesn't keep it from firing and cycling, but you can feel scraps of carbon and powder spitting on your hand during cycling.
      Yeah, Federal cycles my "true" 22's just fine. It won't cycle my advantage arms glock 22 kit (which receives about half my 22lr ammo)...not high enough velocity. It will catch almost every other round...usually every round. Golden is dirty as all get out though, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      very interesting. very much considering it as a practice rifle. Between it and the Mosin, these will probably be the two most useless things ever for SHTF (hell, i'd take extra ammo for my HK USP over either) , but will sure be fun to screw around at the range.
      It is a great practice rifle in that it is decently accurate and the trigger requires some finesse...not NEARLY as much finesse as my mosin though. The 715t draws me to shoot like no other gun...it looks so cool, yet you don't have to wear ear protection and it is super cheap to shoot. The mosin draws me and everyone else as well. It is so effing loud, puts a grin on your face. Cheap to shoot also.

I don't know about being useless though, for the price, yes, you can get the same gun for like 100 dollars and it will kill squirrel and rabbits just fine, but I wouldn't call any 22lr useless. I think everyone should have one...

Vehicles
      '11 tundra, '99 rapevan, '03 sv1000, '0? ttr90, '14 grom, '03 sv650 track, '04 nsr50
      12-29-2011 11:32 AM #9
      smith & wesson makes one as well IN PINK
      http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      12-29-2011 11:35 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      smith & wesson makes one as well IN PINK
      http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

This has "daughter's first rifle" written all over it.

11. 12-30-2011 09:05 PM #11
      Yeah that thing is sweet. Knowing how much I love this thing now, I would say if I did it again I would spend the extra Buck and a half and get the Smith...

12. 12-27-2012 09:43 PM #12
      I was wondering if any one has tried or managed to put a straight up A2 stock on a 715t, I just got one and the stocks ok but it rattles around a bit. Im in NY so I cant have the adjustable stuck any way although it seems as if they just left off the adjustment lever. i have seen pics of other adjustable stocks on a 715t but no A2s. thanks in advanced and happy holidays to all..