Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Any tunes available yet for 2014 Jetta 1.8T (Gen 3 EA888)? >$2 million in sales waiting to be had by years end.

Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      09-07-2013 12:45 AM #1
      Today, I was able to build-my-own 2014 Jetta SE with the new Gen 3 EA888 1.8T (~170hp). With 6spd Tiptronic, a no-options SE is $19,995 MSRP. On a side note, if you hadn't heard, all 2014 Jettas now get 4 wheel disc brakes and multilink rear suspension.

Anyway, just wondering if there are any tunes available yet for 2014 Jetta 1.8T (Gen 3 EA888)? GIAC, APR, UM, IE, Revo, etc.? Anyone? Even 20-30 more hp and torque would be awesome. Maps for 87, 91 (West Coast), and 93 (Lucky parts of US) octane would be "awesomer".

Or if nothing is available yet, any tuners want to forecast a potential tune release date? In case any of the tuning houses haven't jumped on this already here's a Quick-and-Dirty Napkin Math Business Case:
      • According to VWVortex news, VWoA sold over 13 thousand Jettas this August.
      • 10 thousand Passats sold as well - which in 2014 also gets the new 1.8T in the SEL trim.
      • At this rate there could be as many as 75,000 new 1.8T cars on the road before year end
      • Even if only 5% of them tune that's: 75,000 1.8Ts * 5% * $600 (Stage 1 Pricing) = $2.25 million revenue.

Who's going to be the first to crack the code and get a tune on the market for the lion's share of that $2 million?

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. At this rate of sales, and being a little bit conservative, there might be more than 200,000 1.8Ts on the road by end of 2014. ~$6 million revenue up for grabs.

Let the Games begin!

Vehicles
      2007 Rabbit 2.5L, 2013 Jetta SEL w/ Nav
      09-07-2013 02:08 AM #2
      Good points but its just revenue not profit.

For the business to operate you have to factor in what the R&D expenses would be. In addition to that they will have to pull people from other projects and dedicate space, equipment and such that could be used else where. Depending on what the company does and how it does it calculates its costs (activity based like some corporations), it may not be worth it for them to dump the resources to do so at the moment.

Also, with your sales figures, how can you assume that ALL of those are 1.8Ts? How many are the 2.5s or the 2.slows? You also can't base sales on vehicles as a constant rate as it is more cyclical due to new model years being released and such.

In my opinion, it will be a long while before it will get a release depending on how dedicated the company itself is to the 1.8Ts as it may not make practical business sense to do so right here right now. Just look at the 2.5s, how long have those been on the market yet only a handful if not less are available.

Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      09-07-2013 02:48 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by ionflux View Post
      Good points but its just revenue not profit.
      Can't have profit without revenue

For the business to operate you have to factor in what the R&D expenses would be. In addition to that they will have to pull people from other projects and dedicate space, equipment and such that could be used else where. Depending on what the company does and how it does it calculates its costs (activity based like some corporations), it may not be worth it for them to dump the resources to do so at the moment.
      R&D expenses are negligible:
      1. Assume you buy 2 cars at 20k a pop = 40k
      2. Say Engineering time is something like 200 hours to crack, code, tune and test. Decent engineer costs the company $300 per hour so call it = 60k
      3. Material costs are negligible

$100k invested
      Assume you only get 25% of my predictions above and you "only" pull in $550k by the end of the year, ROI is 450%.

Even if I have wildly overestimated the potential market, at $500 each, you only need to sell 200units to breakeven (on the 100k invested).

Any company that does not recognize this potential opportunity either:
      1. Has actual data that entirely refutes my assumptions (very possible)
      2. Has no idea how to run a competitive business (inexcusable)

Also, with your sales figures, how can you assume that ALL of those are 1.8Ts? How many are the 2.5s or the 2.slows? You also can't base sales on vehicles as a constant rate as it is more cyclical due to new model years being released and such.
      I took the number of cars down by ~30% to account for the fact that not all of them would be 1.8Ts. (My assumption for % who tune has more influence over the revenue figure anyway.) But the specific numbers don't matter as much as the relative size of the opportunity.

In my opinion, it will be a long while before it will get a release depending on how dedicated the company itself is to the 1.8Ts as it may not make practical business sense to do so right here right now.
      What possible project could present a larger opportunity for a VWAG tuner than this? These "base" model Jettas have a sales volume 2 to 4 times greater than any other car in their lineup. Imagine what happens when people realize they can have a tuned* 1.8T, 4-wheel discs and IRS Jetta SE which has 90% of GLI performance for $5k less cost.

*(assume a modest(?) 25 hp&tq increase bringing it up to ~200hp and tq)

I didn't even account for the 1.8T Golf 7 arriving next year with the same or at least similar engine. This same investment can be at least partially leveraged here also.

Just look at the 2.5s, how long have those been on the market yet only a handful if not less are available.
      2.5 performance is unleashed with intake hardware upgrades more than it is with software. Fewer people are willing to upgrade hardware than they are software, and while the number of 2.5s on the road may be large the number of willing modders are small.

4. 09-07-2013 09:35 AM #4
      I figure with a 93 octane tune for the 1.8 a lot less people will be getting the GLI. Similar performance for a lot less monwy

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI Autobahn W/Nav DSG
      09-07-2013 11:14 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Dkg010 View Post
      I figure with a 93 octane tune for the 1.8 a lot less people will be getting the GLI. Similar performance for a lot less monwy

But you would still lack all the GLI styling cues, which is why I really bought my GLI.
      Also, stating the obvious that tuning a GLI would yield even more power.
      I doubt it would affect GLI sales much.

Vehicles
      09-07-2013 03:40 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Blkwolfsburg View Post
      But you would still lack all the GLI styling cues, which is why I really bought my GLI.
      Also, stating the obvious that tuning a GLI would yield even more power.
      I doubt it would affect GLI sales much.
      GLI has numerous benefits over the standard Jetta, no question. A tuned 1.8T would narrow but certainly not close the performance gap. GLI still has different styling, DSG and numerous other valuable features.

7. 03-10-2014 10:54 PM #7
      Maybe the stock 1.8Ts would be somewhat like Mk1 GTi. Simpler, yet quick while not very expensive.